One of my recent robo litters

This is the place to ask questions about any aspect of breeding Roborovskis. You should never rush in to breeding any animal, and you can never ask too many questions! This is also the place to post pics and details of your current litters.

Moderator: Alex

One of my recent robo litters

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:34 pm

Hiya Everyone :)

Over the past year or so i have spoken to many different robo breeders in the uk and in other countries too and everyone seems to have a different opinion about wether the White Faced gene is Dominant or Recessive.

In Holland they have come to the conclusion that there are two types of the White Faced gene, one Dominant and one Recessive.

I was told that the type we have in the uk was the Recessive gene so i believed this, although i did find it strange that none of my agouti x agouti pairs (from white faced parents) were producing any white faced babies.

At the last show i went to i was speaking to the other robo breeders and was told that we actually have the Dominant version of the gene over here and that the White Faced gene has always been a dominant gene over here!

So i went back home and decided to re think my breeding plans!! as a lot of my pairs were agouti x agouti - both being from white faced parents! So i paired up alot of these agoutis with white faced robos to hopefully get some white faced babies.

Personally i have never had actual 100% proof of the gene being dominant as the few times i have paired a pure agouti (with no white faced robos in he background) with a white faced baby i have always had agouti babies born and no white faced babies. I have also never had proof of the gene being recessive as i have never had any agouti babies born from two white faced parents, and i have never had white faced babies born from two agouti parents - until now!!

Here are some pics of one of my recent litters:

as you can see, both parents are agoutis, quite light colour between their eyes, but they are agoutis, and you can see that some of the babies are White Faced babies and some of them are Agouti babies :) we also have one little runt in the litter too.

As i said before, i have never had 100% complete proof that we have the Dominant gene in the UK - does anyone else have proof of this? I would love to see pics and love o be able to have some proof of the dominant gene being in the uk for the non uk breeders who dont think we have this gene! Does anyone have photos of White Fced babies being born from one White Faced parent and one Pure Agouti parent please?

Hope you find this as interesting as i do :)

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Re: One of my recent robo litters

Postby Nella » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:39 pm

I think it would say more if you ask pictures of two husky parents giving agouti babies ;). This because you will never know for sure if an agouti is really 'pure'. When the husky have the dominant gene there is 50% change they don't give the gene so not all the babies will be husky.

With the recessive gene both parents have two genes so always give the genes to the babies.. therefore two recessive huskies will give only husky young. Two dominant huskies will give husky and agouti young.

But you pictures show you have the recessive gene (like I've said before ;)).
Nella
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby mison79 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:20 am

Here in Sweden we also have two kinds of husky: Dominant and recessive. I learned that you can se if a agouti are a husky carrier. The carrier have a brighter spot in the forehead right in the middle of the eyes. I thought I saw a spot on both your agouti parents.

The recessive husky is so beautiful!
Congrats to the litter.
mison79
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby Nella » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:58 pm

Not all the agouti's carrying recessive husky have the spot between the eyes. If an agouti has a spot it is definitely a carrier, but most of the carrying don't have a spot! So it is not a 'perfect' theory ;).
Nella
Baby Robo - Just Born

Return to Breeding