Colony breeding

This is the place to ask questions about any aspect of breeding Roborovskis. You should never rush in to breeding any animal, and you can never ask too many questions! This is also the place to post pics and details of your current litters.

Moderator: Alex

Colony breeding

Postby Ulricke » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:20 pm

Hello

Firstly, please excuse my poor English. Please let me know if there is anything you don’t understand, and I’ll try to translate it better.

I’m a registered syrian breeder in my country. I’m now planning to start breeding roborovski as well. I’ve been reading up on roborovski breeding as I plan to become a registered roborovski breeder. I’m a bit confused as there is so much information on the Internet, and each site usually say different things. There is unfortunately little information in our hamster association, as roborovski hamsters is a quite new breed to be kept as pets and also not as popular as syrians and other dwarfs, due to their shy and timid nature.

I would like to get your opinion on colony breeding, including positive and negative sides.

I’m picking up a pair of roborovski females, that are about 6 week when collected. I’m also getting a male that is about the same age. I’ve had roborovski as pet for a couple of years, so I know their nature, but never breed them or thinking about breeding them up til now. So please don’t lecture me about thinking thoroughly before breeding, consequences etc. I know all this, as I’m an experienced syrian breeder.

This is a few sentences translated by me from the hamster association:
«Because roborovskis are very social, there isn’t usually any problem introducing a male and a female. They should be introduced as early as possible, preferably when they are between 6 and 7 weeks. Both genders will be sexual mature within 5 weeks, but the female is too young to have a litter at this age. A female should be over 4 months when her first litter is born, preferably between 5 and 6 months. This is important to take in consideration if you prefer to introduce the male and female together only for the breeding. If a pair or a group are kept together from an early age, the female will wait to get pregnant till the following spring.»

« If you choose to leave the female and the male together, a new litter will be born every 4 - 5 weeks, but they seem to limit the amount of litters and take a break or complete stop producing litters after the 3rd - 5th.»

My question here is; would you recommend paring up a male and two females together as early as 7 weeks old? I don’t want the females to get a litter this early, as she isn’t ready to raise a litter neither mentally or physically. And is it true that the female will stop producing more litters after the 3rd?

Thank you
Ulricke
Baby Robo - Just Born

Return to Breeding