Husky genes: dominant and recessive

This is the place to discuss how current genes work and also any new mutations, new colours or unusual appearances.

Moderator: Alex

Husky genes: dominant and recessive

Postby Nella » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:35 pm

Finally a separate thread for the husky genes. In the past there wasn't much known about this gene. I live in Holland and here aren't a lot of robo-breeders, but I had severall discussions with one of them who clamed the husky gene was a dominant gene. He bred wildcaught robo's to husky robo's and got husky in the first generation. So... easy, isn't it?

The strange thing is, that my robo's always gave NO husky-young when bred to an agouti (pure). I was convinced it was a recessive gene.. but well, how is that possible? I keep very detailed records of my litters, so I was really sure mine were recessive.

Then I got my 3 white robo's (2 females and 1 male), but no-one knew how that geneticly worked. The breeder I got two of them from paired one of the females to her brother, the white male. He got 2 young, but 'just' husky - no white! He descided he had to little robo's to really breed with them, so I got his two whites. I paired them up with my other robo's. White female x agouti male (mother: agouti, father: husky) gave several litters. First litter was completely husky (recessive - just like my young), so I already gave up hope... 2 litters... all husky. The next one was a suprise: one agouti, 2 light huskies, 2 darker huskies and 1 white! The lighter huskies were just like my young, so recessive I guessed, and the other two were a lot darker! I compared them to pictures of the huskies that other breeder had (pictures of 2007 so not recently) and the colour was alike. Never noticed it before, but the difference is obvious when you place a dominant and a recessive one besides eachother.

Hereby some pictures of a litter of 3. Born out of one of the darker huskies mentioned before together with an agouti female carrying recessive husky. On the left you see the dominant husky, in the middle a husky which is darker than recessive husky, but lighter than the dominant one... the father of this litter is probably dominant husky plus one recessive husky gene. He was also lighter than this dark husky. So I think the genes are: dominant husky (1 gene dominant without any genes of recessive variant), dominant husky / platinum (1 gene dominant plus 1 gene recessive husky), recessive husky (2 genes recessive husky).

Recessive, dominant, platinum:

Recessive, platinum:

Hereby some pictures of the litter born out of the same parents, but 3 weeks older. This female had the same colour as the platinum in the litter I mentioned above:

Together with a recessive husky female:

These are the brothers of the platinum female (2x agouti, 1x platinum, 1x recessive - at the left the platinum one, at the back the recessive one):

The platinum male:

I call the more greyish robo's platinum, because I really think they will become platinum. I have one platinum male. I got him when he was already one year of age. He had a strange colour... didn't like it at that time, because it made him look old (greyish). So I think platinum is nothing more than the dominant gene compaired with one recessive gene. The young from the white female all had the greyish colour... white containes 2x recessive gene, so every young gets one gene. The young of that male together with an agouti female gives not only the greyish colour but also the darker colour, so it suggests that one doesn't carry recessive husky.

This is my platinum male (at the moment completely white). When he was younger he had the same kind of greyish colour as the young in my recent litters:

This is a picture of him last august (at the right, at the left one of the white females) - in the meantime he is completely white not greyish anymore!:

All of this gives the following robo-'colours':
- white (1 dominant husky gene and 2 recessive husky genes)
- platinum (1 dominant husky gene and 1 recessive husky gene)
- dominant husky (1 dominant husky gene)
- recessive husky (2 recessive husky genes)
- agouti with white spot between the eyes but can also be without spot (1 recessive husky gene -> recessive husky carrier)
- agouti without recessive husky parents/grandparents (no husky genes)

By the way: to prove the agouti carrying recessive husky I paired two agouti's with husky parent together. They did get a husky young!
Nella
Baby Robo - Just Born

Re: Husky genes: dominant and recessive

Postby Nella » Tue May 04, 2010 8:12 pm

In the meantime I have 11 dominant huskies, at least 3 definitaly carrier of recessive husky but I think half of the others also. Will show in time ;). I really fell in love with this colour, I think it is very special but also a very beautiful dark colour but the ones who are carriers of the recessive gene are becoming platinum.. also beautiful!

In one of my last litters also again a white robo. The whites are less healthy than huskies or agouti's and therefore I will no longer focus on them. My goal is a dominant husky line with carriers of recessive husky and without. White young will be born, but I think with most of them there won't be any breeding... this is because they are not as 'big' as a normal robo and also do not look that healthy (well, not yet, maybe in time...).
Nella
Baby Robo - Just Born

Return to Genetics