Red Eyed Roborovskis (Cream? / Rust?)

This is the place to discuss how current genes work and also any new mutations, new colours or unusual appearances.

Moderator: Alex

Red Eyed Roborovskis (Cream? / Rust?)

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:05 pm

Hiya Everyone :)

It has been suggested that this new mutation needs its own thread in the genectics section, so here they are :)

This pair of Robos are very special as they are a new mutation which has only very recently occurred in the Czech Republic!! I have been very lucky to be able to get a pair of these robos, as I believe these are the only ones of this new mutation in the UK! I am very excited to have this new colour and am hoping to do as much as possible to help with understanding how it works :)

This new mutation is currently being described as the ‘Red Eyed’ , ‘Cinnamon’ or ‘Cream’ Roborovski in Holland, Denmark and Czech, as it has a slightly lighter, creamier all over colour and is apparently born with red eyes. The eyes apparently darken very much with age and the two I have here do not seem to have visibly red eyes, not even with a camera flash, but as you can see from the photos they are definitely a different colour.

After speaking to a well trusted UK breeder (not sure if they want me to mention their name until they have seen the pics, or the robos in the flesh, lol) since collecting these robos, and describing them, it seems that it may not be the cinnamon gene afterall, but possibly the Rust gene (Syrian) / Black Eyed Argente gene (Campbells) due to the fact that the eyes do not appear to be red, but rather a more darker black or brown colour, their overall creamy orangy coat colour, their slate grey undercolour and their different coloured ears, and the fact that this is a supposedly recessive gene.

I the pics below they were with one Agouti and one White - Faced Robo just to show the difference in the three colourations:

Not much is known about this new gene as it hasn’t been worked with much, but I am hoping to get some babies soon, so hopefullly we can learn more about the gene :)

Sorry if I have misquoted anyone, things like this easily confuse me, lol, so I may have got some of this wrong, please feel free to correct me. Any info or thoughts on this new mutation would be great :)

Trying to show colour of undercoat:

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Re: Red Eyed Roborovskis (Cream? / Rust?)

Postby Fluffymunchkins » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:07 pm

I know this was a while ago now but i am really fasinated by this new colur!
I only recently found out about platinum and now this :mrgreen:
Its great to see the range of colur increasing slowly but surely.
How are your unusual ones doing? Do you have plans to breed or have you already?
My babies Peggy the Robo and Porridge the Syrian!
Fluffymunchkins
Baby Robo - Just Born

Re: Red Eyed Roborovskis (Cream? / Rust?)

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:26 pm

Hiya :)

yes, i am really excited too a bout new colours appearing in Roborovskis :D

Yes, we have had the first litter of red eyed pups born here a couple of weeks ago :)

Please see the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Return to Genetics