White Roborovskis

This is the place to discuss how current genes work and also any new mutations, new colours or unusual appearances.

Moderator: Alex

White Roborovskis

Postby Ed.C. » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:12 am

I hope you find these videos interesting. The mutation seems to be dominant in inheritance, and looks like an extreme form of spotting. It does leave a little ear pigment on them and adults have some pigmentation on their back too. The gene also dilutes the eye to a very dark ruby colour (probably due to the high amount of spotting).

Although I've seen whiteface robo's look similar to this, and I have heard of a recessive spotting variant, I can't seem to find a mutation like this one. So maybe it is new?

mum (white), dad(normal) and pups(2 normal, 2 white);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKo5Ik5zKtM

and the pups a little older;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlDu_-2hgqQ

Ed
Ed.C.
Baby Robo - Just Born

Re: White Roborovskis

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:12 am

Hiya Ed :)

Welcome to the forum :)

Thank you so much for posting pics of your beautiful Robos!! They are amazing :) I managed to loan a white male last year but sadly he died before he produced any babies and i havent been able to find any more despite searching all over the UK and other countries!!

My friend from Holland has white Robos and had one baby born last year who was white, but sadly this baby died before it reached 3 weeks, so we were all very sad about that :(

In Holland there are apparantly four new mutations - White, Platinum, Dominant White-Faced and Recessive White-Faced, but they still need to be proven and documented.

I would love to hear more about how these robos appeared and how many generations you have information about :)

Great videos!!

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Postby Ed.C. » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:34 am

Hi,

Well the female (white) mum was just a lucky find at my local pet shop that I get my food supplies from. The owner had just received an accidental litter and had them in a tank labelled " new husky mutation" At first I just thought it was the mum and she was an old faded whitefaced type. However when I spoke to the owner at length he insisted it was about 8 weeks old, so I took a chance on instinct and bought her and a normal tankmate. In this group there was one whiteface, two normal,and the white.

Anyways, a huge surprise on xmas day when I see a normal pup walking out of the nest, but I was really blown away when I eventually saw two little white pups plus another normal pup too!

To be honest i'm very surprised that the pups and mum are so healthy considering the amount of spotting they have. Most spotting genes are problematic and many cause health issues,and especially so when depigmentation rises to extreme levels, but upto now I haven't noticed any problems, which is a great relief!

At the moment, i'm just hoping she produces another litter, but once I get sufficient numbers I would like to outcross to an unrelated normal type to determine properly if it is indeed dominant in inheritance. Secondly, once the pups get a little older I would like to test both mum and pups for deafness. With spotting genes, often the pigment cells fail to migrate to the inner ear which causes problems like deafness or waltzing/twirling behaviour, head tilt, balance problems, etc. However judging by the way they use the wheel, and also how they seem to scamper off if they hear the door open in the dark, I think the mutation maybe ok for hearing, balance etc. Also both pups and adults have visible dark pigment on their ears, so hopefully pigment cells make it to the inner ear as well. However it's probably wise to test properly just in case.

Hey, with these new mutations appearing, it might be fun if you added or expanded the breeding section to include genetics! It would help greatly when discussing these new mutations and very helpful to document findings, research, and hopefully placing them on the correct loci once they are identified.

Ed
Ed.C.
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:19 pm

Hi Ed,

this is all extremely interesting to maybe have a new mutation in the uk, especially at the same time as the mutation from Denmark :) As you suggested i have added a new 'Genetics' Section and moved this thread :)

I do hope that these special babies are healthy and that in time they can be mated to produce more babies to help us understand more about this new colour.

Do you have any more videos or photos of them? I think photos will be helpful in this thread so that we can document as much about this new colour as possible.

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Postby Ed.C. » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:51 am

I only have the photos I took of them at xmas, but they are continuing to thrive, and now one of the whites is the largest of all the pups. He was at the same stage of development as the largest agouti pup but is now slightly larger!

Excuse the yellow quality to the photos but I keep certain breeding lines under artificial lighting on a timer to control daylength.

I'll try taking some updated photos of the gang this week and do a video update for you :)

Ed
Ed.C.
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:01 pm

Thanks for posting more pics, they look great and i hope they continue to do well :)

It is strange you mention the day light bulbs, lol, as only yesterday i was contemplating using them for my robos, as i have tried UV bulbs with the Harvest Mice :)

I have never tried bulbs with my robos and have always let them go through a natural winter as i think it does them good and also gives them a natural break from breeding - my pairs will not normally breed between december and march. Last year they stopped breeding quite early - my last litter was in november despite pairs still being together.

One thing i have noticed with my robos is that 99% of my young females will not breed until they have been through their first winter, despite living with proven males. Have you ever experienced this? What happens with babies who have never been through a natural winter and always been under a light?

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Postby Ed.C. » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:52 pm

Well I agree with you, animals do need a natural break from breeding. Normally I've never any need to use artificial lighting unless it was something awkward like jerboas. However I am currently researching two more probable mutations in the Mongolian gerbil and I have these under artificial lights just to make sure the breeding doesn't tail off during the winter months. This is basically so that I can continue test breeding them. I was aware of the fact through previous breeding with robo's that there's normally a tailing off or cessation of breeding during the winter months and some young females will not breed until the following spring, and especially so if they were born after Summer. So basically I was just cheating a little with the robo's as I was really curious as to whether the mum would actually be fertile, let alone raise a healthy litter!

I separated the pups this week and they are still growing well, even the runt! Here they are in a small Hagen tank after I removed them from their parents. They were a little agitated by the sudden move and it looks like I've given them speed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNVCwAINr6g

Ed
Ed.C.
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:00 pm

Awww, thanks for the new video - they are all gorgeous :) its great to see them a little older :)

Tomorrow could be very exciting as the mother could give birth again (assuming the male is still in with her / or was present during the birth) or anytime from tomorrow :) Is she showing any signs of being pregnant?

That one Agouti pup looks like he or she is carrying something rather than just being pure agouti, it is very white around the rear end and definately looks different to pure Agouti - will be interesting to see what pups he or she would produce :)

Please keep us updated :)

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Postby Ed.C. » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:47 pm

I thought you would spot that little guy! I was going to ask you about him too. He's the runt and was very tiny but also healthy and is now catching up well now as you can see. However I was wondering if his odd coat colour was just due to his fur growing at a slower/later rate etc. I've seen some odd coats over the years with runts (in other rodents) but usually the strange effect is through inadequate nutrition and/or other problems in the growing pup.

Basically though if I had to describe him I would say he looks like a rumpwhite mouse as he seems to be lacking pigment all over his rump. It isn't white but appears off-white or creamy. The top part of his coat though is undiluted and appears darker than his Agouti sibling.

I took some pics in natural light without flash but they're not the greatest;

Ed
Ed.C.
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Thnaks for the new pics Ed :)

in the pics he does look just like aan agouti, maybe a bit pale around the rear, but on the video he looked like he had a white rear, lol, but maybe it is just like you said and due to being a runt - i have also had runts who have had hair growth problems, which usually sort themselves out once the babies are eating on their own.

Will just have to see how he develops :)

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Next

Return to Genetics