Leo's eye

This is the place to discuss your hamster's health. If your hamster is looking a bit under the weather, or off their food, ask here. If you hamster has an injury, ask here. Fur loss, sneezing, eye problems? Ask here.
Please note that if you hamster is very ill, or has a serious injury, please seek veterinary attention immediately!!

Moderator: Alex

Leo's eye

Postby Toria » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:40 pm

I'm really worried about Leo's eye. About 3 weeks ago i noticed it was sticky and then i fed him one afternoon and it was swollen and stuck together. We went straight to the vets and was given some cream 'Fucithalmic' i think?

That cleared it up within a few days but 2-3 weeks on, although it was no longer sticky, red or swollen he still isn't opening it right or blinking properly. Someone on another forum suggested artificial tears for humans and they worked well but only for one night and slowly it has gotten worse again. We went back to the vets but they said there isn't anything they can do as he is too small and to carry on with the artificial tears. There hasn't been any stickiness, redness or anything until this morning when i gave him his drop and he had an orange coloured crust on his eye lids that looked like it had caused the eye to become stuck again during his sleep.

I don't really know what to do for him. The vets don't seem to know and i don't like to see him being uncomfortable. I don't wanna drag him to the vets every 5 minutes as he only seems to trust me and gets very scared around other people, plus he is about 3 years old so i don't want extra stress.

Any ideas?
Toria
Baby Robo - Just Born

Re: Leo's eye

Postby Nella » Tue May 04, 2010 8:17 pm

Sorry for the late reply, how is he doing in the meantime? Especially when he is that old it could be due to his age... you could try to make the eye clean with 'not too warm' water (don't know the word in english). But I really don't think there is anything else you can do.. just hope it gets better and he can clean it himself :(.
Nella
Baby Robo - Just Born

Return to Health