My Robo Boy

This is the place to discuss your hamster's health. If your hamster is looking a bit under the weather, or off their food, ask here. If you hamster has an injury, ask here. Fur loss, sneezing, eye problems? Ask here.
Please note that if you hamster is very ill, or has a serious injury, please seek veterinary attention immediately!!

Moderator: Alex

My Robo Boy

Postby Silver » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:45 pm

Yes im a mum :D .

He Is a 4 month old boy, not sure on a name yet. I can't show you a picture because he hasn't stopped sill for a second yet :lol: .

He seems to love his wheel he must of done a half marathon already :D . He has had a nibble of his food, but he hasn't drank anything yet. In the cage he was in he had the same type of bottle so he should know what it is. Ive put a saucer with some in but he just sniffs it :roll:

The other thing thats worrying me is he keeps shaking himself, could this just be because hes some where new or could he have some sort of might. He seems to only shake in one corner of the cage, behind his wheel where he washes himself

I held him in my hands in the shop, but he's on a mission so going to leave him be for now. He is trying to escape but there is no way out :P

I know neurotic new mum :D
Lifes A Roller Coaster
Youv'e Just Got To Ride It
Silver
Baby Robo - Just Born

Re: My Robo Boy

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:27 pm

Hiya :)

Congratulations on your new robo, i am sorry to hear that he seems to have some kind of problem, but it does sound like he might just have mites which is easy enough to treat - just get a simple shop bought treatment like spot on, but just be careful of the dose as he is very small.

If this doesnt sort the problem out then get him to the vets for a check up and hopefully they can help sort out the problem.

Good luck with him, please keep us posted :)

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Postby Silver » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:56 pm

Thanks Tammy :)

He decided to trash his cage last night & make his nest outside of his house so ive been able to watch him more today. He certainly seems to have something like mites so Ive booked him into the vets tomorrow morning. Im really pleased they are easy to get rid of, thats made my day :D .

Can humans catch the mites or do they just stay on him?

P.S ive a name for him Its Digger.....because he digs a lot biggrinjester:
Lifes A Roller Coaster
Silver
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby Silver » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:13 pm

Well im sorry to say this has had a bad ending.

I took him to the vets. She did say he had mites but this was the least of his problems. She said he was not four months old. He was over a year old. He also had a tumour on his tummy which she classed as big.

She said that she can operate on him but its best to take him back to the shop I got him from. So I have just come home without my gorgeous boy.

Im totally gutted. I made sure he will see a vet. I will also when im able to send a letter to their head office. I won't let this go. Because I would never ever want something like this to happen to anyone elase, ever.
Lifes A Roller Coaster
Silver
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:40 pm

Hello Silver,

i am so sorry to hear about your bad experience, but to be honest this is sadly not unheard of :( actually this is quite common with hamsters from pet shops, especially the larger ones where the hamsters come from 'farms' where they are mass bred to make as much money as possible.

A large percentage of 'pet shop' hamsters are fed on the cheapest food possible which is usually not beneficial at all, they are taken from their mother too early so that they can be sold and so that their mother can be re bred as soon as possible, and they go through so much stress that they usally go to their new homes with numerous problems :( It doesnt help that they are not healthy to begin with, so they usually cant cope with the stress and problems they have. It is all very sad, but unfortunately there is not much we can do except not to buy from pet shops whenever possible

I really cant stress this enough - this is not directed at you Silver, but at anyone who can choose between buying from a pet shop and buying from a reputable hobbyist breeder where the babies will be well bred, fed on the best food, come from parents with known backgrounds etc. etc. If you can get to a breeder, even if it is a bit more effort, or you might have to wait a couple of weeks, travel a bit further etc. then it really is well worth it, as unfortunately silvers story is just too common when buying from pet shops :(

I really hope that you do complain Silver and get something changed about they are kept and bred, but i know many people who have tried and failed :(

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Postby Silver » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:26 pm

Thank you
Lifes A Roller Coaster
Silver
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby SirenMoonBee » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi sliv, i had a similar experience from pet shops too in the past, I had a syrian from a friend who could no longer look after him and said he was a baby. But he wasn't he was actually rather old and ill and sadly i didn't have him for long until he died. After him i found Oakfarm had got my first robo's, and i know this is what i will continue to do always from now on.
SirenMoonBee
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby Silver » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:31 am

Thank You Siren
Lifes A Roller Coaster
Silver
Baby Robo - Just Born

Return to Health