Mysterious Deaths

This is the place to discuss your hamster's health. If your hamster is looking a bit under the weather, or off their food, ask here. If you hamster has an injury, ask here. Fur loss, sneezing, eye problems? Ask here.
Please note that if you hamster is very ill, or has a serious injury, please seek veterinary attention immediately!!

Moderator: Alex

Mysterious Deaths

Postby BexPetz » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:06 pm

I'm sorry if this is rushed but I'm really upset. I've just lost two hamsters in the past three days.

Topsy's first baby, Tupney, was found in her cage 6 months ago, covered in blood and had been half-eaten either before or after she died, I'm not sure. Exactly the same thing happened to Topsy when she was with her babies, Tilly and Tiara. Then three days later exactly the same thing happened again in completely different cage with three of Topsy's babies, where Skittles died.

My hamsters are dying or eating or killing each other.

I've never, ever seen them fight and I've been watching them really closely! Please help!

Becky.
My beautiful rabbits, TigerLily, Rolo, Dinah, Ducchess, Dimples, Mittens, Button and Mistletoe. I have 5 roborovski's, 7 gerbils and my 3 chickens.
Please look at or join my website: http://www.freewebs.com/gerbilgirl22
BexPetz
Baby Robo - Just Born

Re: Mysterious Deaths

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:48 pm

Hi Becky,

i am really sorry to hear of your loss.

When a roborovski hamster dies it is a very natural thing for other robos to dispose of the body, this is of course very upsetting for us, especially when we find the remains, but the reason they do this is to try and prevent the dead body from attracting predators to the nest / home - this is just a natural instinct for them. This will happen wether the hamster has been killed by other hamsters or if it has died on its own.

There are so many things that could have caused a hamster's death - it is hard to pinpoint the exact reason. The hamsters could have been ill or they could have suddenly turned on each other. Sometimes there are no obvious signs of fighting such as squeaking, boxing, or wounds - sometimes there are only very subtle signs such as hamsters sleeping separately from each other, not doing anything together, avoiding each other, hamsters being prevented from eating or drinking by other hamsters. If one was being bullied or prevented from eating or drinking this coud have caused its death - signs would have been very stressed looking hamsters with very greasy fur, very thin and dehydrated etc.

One thing that sometimes happens is that the water bottle leaks or gets blocked up and prevents them from getting water. Roborovskis cannot last very long at all without water and within a few hours they will deteriorate very quickly. I am not saying that they did not have water, but maybe something went wrong with the water supply in their cage and they could not get water.

I am sorry you had to go through this, but knowing some of the causes might be able to prevent this from happening again. I hope your other hamsters are all well and happy.

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Re: Mysterious Deaths

Postby BexPetz » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:56 pm

Thank you.

Another four have died in the last month, including a syrian.
I am completely clueless as to how this has happening - if one had died from dehydration then why not the others in the cage???

One of the babies died in my hand, writhing in pain, then started moving slowly, limply, just moving her arms. Then she died.

I have put the remaining two at opposite sides of the room in case it is contagious in any way. I guess it could've spread between the cages via the hamster ball, which they share (I guess that's a regrettable mistake).

One of the hamsters I found eaten in the cage, not sure of the cause of death, and when I come home that evening the other hamster's nose was red (but not with blood) and she was lying dead in the cage. A few days later another died in a different cage.

They seem to die in clumps, not neccessarily groups from the same cage, but a lot die at once with a few weeks in between each one.

Am very confused and looking for any suggestions!

All the hamsters who died were acting abnormally entergetic one day, then flopped lifelessly the next with no obvious wounds or ailments.

Becky.
My beautiful rabbits, TigerLily, Rolo, Dinah, Ducchess, Dimples, Mittens, Button and Mistletoe. I have 5 roborovski's, 7 gerbils and my 3 chickens.
Please look at or join my website: http://www.freewebs.com/gerbilgirl22
BexPetz
Baby Robo - Just Born

Return to Health