Strange behavior

This is the place to discuss your hamster's health. If your hamster is looking a bit under the weather, or off their food, ask here. If you hamster has an injury, ask here. Fur loss, sneezing, eye problems? Ask here.
Please note that if you hamster is very ill, or has a serious injury, please seek veterinary attention immediately!!

Moderator: Alex

Strange behavior

Postby mison79 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:51 pm

Hi!
I have a question about robo behavior:
Is it a defekt when robos are running back and forward and falling back and do this repeatedly?
Or is it a effect if she is bored?
mison79
Baby Robo - Just Born

Re: Strange behavior

Postby Nella » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:25 pm

You mean the robo falls on his back? This is indeed a defect... possibly due to the colour (white robo's aren't healty too most of the times), but can also be a genetic default just like spinning. But I don't know for sure what your robo's has.. is it possible to film it?
Nella
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby mison79 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:39 pm

Nella wrote:You mean the robo falls on his back? This is indeed a defect... possibly due to the colour (white robo's aren't healty too most of the times), but can also be a genetic default just like spinning. But I don't know for sure what your robo's has.. is it possible to film it?

Yes, the female falls on her back and runs back and forwards. It´s my female with spots that does this.
mison79
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:29 pm

Hiya,

i the UK we call this 'flipping' and, like Nella says, it is usually a genetic fault connected with colours which are not very healthy - sometimes a result of inbreeding or just bad breeding.

As this condition is genetic the hamster should not be bred from as it can be passed down to babies, so you would be best to exclude this hamster from your breeding plans.

In the past i have had Russian Hybrids who have had this condition and it is very sad to watch, but they can usually live a normal life with this condition if it is not too advanced. Sometimes it is best to keep the affected hamster living on his own as the condition can make cage mates stressed and more likely to fight and attack the unwell hamster.

If the condition does get too bad and the hamster is prevented from eating and drinking or the hamster becomes too thin due to wearing itself out then the kindest thing to do is to have him put to sleep - but obviously you need to judge each individual case separately to see what their quality of life is like.

Sorry to hear that your hamster has this condition :(

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Return to Health