What Do You Use For The Cage Floor

Any questions regarding your hamsters cage, toys, wheels, home enrichment etc. needs to go here. Alternative cages such as tank style cages, wooden homes and glass tanks can go here too. Water bottles, bowls, tubes etc. all need to go here.

Moderator: Alex

What Do You Use For The Cage Floor

Postby Silver » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:32 pm

Hello :D

Ive heard that Aspen or Carefresh is good. Just wanted to know what you use.

Lifes A Roller Coaster
Youv'e Just Got To Ride It
Silver
Baby Robo - Just Born

Re: What Do You Use For The Cage Floor

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:58 pm

Hi again Silver :)

just wanted to say sorry you are only getting my opinion on things, hopefully some other members will be along shortly to give you their oppinions too!

I have always used wood shavings for my robos and have never had a problem with them, i find them very easy to clean out, espeically if i put in a deep layer as i find that robos dont produce much urine and the little bit that is produced is easily soaked up before it reaches the base of the cage so it doesnt leave stains or marks after it has been cleaned out.

I also use shavings for my for my short haired Syrians, but i use Carefresh, cat litter pellets and cardboard squares for the long haired syrians and i find all of them really good, so i am sure they would all be fine for robos too :)

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Postby Silver » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:40 pm

Ive been looking around at bedding & ive seen Tesco's have Value Soft Wood Bedding. Would this be ok it dosen't say what wood its from as ive read that pine is bad for them.

Lifes A Roller Coaster
Silver
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:02 pm

Hi Silver :)

i am sure this would be fine, i think the things you read about Pine isnt relevant to the pine in the uk - i think the danger is more to do with the pine in the US, i am not sure why but in the US there are only certain shavings which are safe for pets - you might find more information by searching on google.

But i think in the UK, any shavings specifically made for pets should be fine :)

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Postby Silver » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:38 pm

Great Thanks Tammy :D .
Lifes A Roller Coaster
Silver
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby Ed.C. » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:51 pm

I'm UK based and use ordinary pine wood shavings. Usually a large flake brand like snowflake or similar works well but I have also trialled allpet softwood pet beddings out on a range of species, including Robos for the manufacturers of their products and it's proved pretty good.

The trouble is, the "pine kills" movement is a US concern, but over the years it has seeped onto UK forums. The US concerns over shavings are usually based on studies of native American woods harvested from American forests. European timber is nearly always harvested from sustainably developed forests. These forests deliberatly grow extremly fast growing trees like spruce. Spruce is far less aromatic and contains far less phenols (the substance that can cause the problem) than the slower growing woods like cedar and some North American pines.

Basically it comes down to how fast the wood grows and the climate it is grown in. Faster growing softwoods tend to be lighter, wetter and less aromatic. Hardwoods tend to be slower growing than softwoods and much less aromatic.

The aromatic properties of woods (and therefore the phenol content of the wood) is all about making the wood less pleasant for various parasitic organisms including fungi. It's a natural defence mechanism for the tree, which in turn can pose a problem to the animal when the wood is used as a bedding if the phenol content of the wood is high enough in concentration.

Ed
Ed.C.
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby Silver » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:13 pm

Wow thanks Ed that explains it really well :D
Lifes A Roller Coaster
Silver
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby Fluffymunchkins » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:23 pm

hi i use megazorb which is fantastic!
It can be bought at an online store called farmway for around £10 including shipping.
But i get it from my local tack shop (as it is orginally horse bedding) for £5
it comes in huge 85 litre bags and last ages :D

I definitley recommend it as my robo loves to dig in it and its really absorbant.
Very similar to carefresh, as it is wood pulp made but smaller clumps, lighter colour and much cheaper!
My babies Peggy the Robo and Porridge the Syrian!
Fluffymunchkins
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby Nella » Tue May 04, 2010 8:25 pm

I use No-Smell, this is a kind of cotton-bedding. I always used wood shavings, but I really don't like the dust it causes. I have no seperate shed for my hamsters, they are in my livingroom and upstairs. I really don't like to clean my house every few days, so therefore I bought No-Smell.. it is pretty expensive.. € 10 per bag (one bag is appr. 10 duna fun's), so I need a few everytime I clean them all ;). It lasts at least one month without getting dirty, no dust and they really love it because they can use it as by making a nest to sleep in.
Nella
Baby Robo - Just Born

Return to Homes and Habitat