Do I Need A Lid

Any questions regarding your hamsters cage, toys, wheels, home enrichment etc. needs to go here. Alternative cages such as tank style cages, wooden homes and glass tanks can go here too. Water bottles, bowls, tubes etc. all need to go here.

Moderator: Alex

Do I Need A Lid

Postby Silver » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:44 pm

Hello Everyone,

Ive got a question about housing one Robo. I haven't got him/her yet but want to set every thing up before I go & get him/her :) .

I want to get a glass tank. And I was wondering if I need a lid or not. Ive looked at the perfecto's which cost a arm & a leg for what they are. I can easily pick up a glass fish tank but they obviousley don't have a lid to them.

I will put lots of toys in there but make sure they are not too tall so that my Robo could climb out. Can Robos clime out of a glass tank? Would I be ok with out a lid.

Lifes A Roller Coaster
Youv'e Just Got To Ride It
Silver
Baby Robo - Just Born

Re: Do I Need A Lid

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:52 pm

Hi Silver :)

Welcome to the forum!

I have a lot of my robos in glass tanks and bin cages and if the toys are not too high then the robos cannot get out, but i do have lids on all of my tanks and bins just to stop other animals from getting in!

If you do not have any other animals, especially cats or dogs then you dont really need to worry about anything getting in to them, so i am sure they will be fine without a lid :)

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Postby Silver » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:58 pm

Brilliant :D

Wow that was a fast reply :lol: Thank You xxx. No I don't have any other pets so nothing that I know of could get in there with them :lol:

Will now go on a search for a glass tank :D
Lifes A Roller Coaster
Silver
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:13 pm

Great :D

I find that the local freecycle is a great place to get glass tanks from, you can also try ebay and your local newspaper too, and even carboot sales - a lot of my glass tanks have come from these places and are much cheaper than buying brand new!!

Wherever you get them from though they will need to be given a good clean out with either bleach and washing up liquid or a pet safe disenfectant - as long as all traces are rinsed away and it is dried out completely it will be completely safe :) Good Luck with your search!

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Postby Silver » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:50 pm

Just thought I know that the bigger the tank/cage the better. But whats the smallest size you need to keep one Robo happy.

Lifes A Roller Coaster
Silver
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:58 pm

As you say, they bigger the tank the better, but i would say that a 2 foot long tank would be plenty big enough for a single robo, a 3 foot tank would be even better :)

Underbed storage boxes and other plastic tubs are really great for keeping robos in - some of them are a brilliant size and they are so much lighter in weight than glass tanks, so they are much easier to move about and clean out. Asda does a really good sized box for about £7 i think, so they are so much cheaper than glass tanks - and you can get some really big ones too!

I will try and sort some pics out of some of my bin cages :)

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Postby Silver » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:44 pm

That would be brilliant Tammy thank You xxx.

I liked the look of the under bed storage box in the house thread because it seemed to be really see through. Do you know where that one come from or what its called. Of Couse ive fell in love with the Ferplast Galaxy which isn't made anymore :roll: Im being a pain arent I :lol:
Lifes A Roller Coaster
Silver
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby Silver » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:53 pm

Ive found a lovely big under bed storage box on Wilkisons site. Its 40cm Depth Width 60cm & Height 18cm. Im wondering if 18cm which is 7inch in old money is high enough to stop the Robo from climbing out :) .
Lifes A Roller Coaster
Silver
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:16 pm

Hi Silver :)

of course you are not being a pain, it is great that you are sorting all of this out now, instead of trying to sort it out after you have your new robo like some people do!

Most of my pairs are in storage boxes which are: 12" x 18" x 12" (dxwxh), so i am sure they would be great for a lone robo too, here are some pics of them:

I also have bigger storage boxes for larger groups, which are: 14" 26" x 10" (dxwxh) and these are brilliant too, here is a pic:

I do have similar size boxes to the ones you have mentioned - they are approx. 7" high and to be honest if the roborovskis jump high enough at the side of the box they would be able to get out, especially once the substrate and bedding is in etc.

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Postby Silver » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:49 pm

Thanks verry much :D

Do you know what the name of the boxe's with red & greay lids, or where you got them from. Did they already have holes in the lid or was it a bit of diy :lol:

Thanks for all your help :D
Lifes A Roller Coaster
Silver
Baby Robo - Just Born

Next

Return to Homes and Habitat