How many and what sex?

This is the place to discuss any aspect of keeping Roborovskis that does not fit in any of the other sections.

Moderator: Alex

How many and what sex?

Postby souffle » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:42 pm

We are considering getting a some robos. I just wondered what would be the best size and sex of group which would give the best chance of staying together?
Of course we realise that there is always the chance of fighting but would like to try and keep them together.
Accommodation we have as a possible home would be Gabber Rex, FOP Bernie Deluxe (about duna or lux size) or Ryden Millhouse (Rody size). How many robos could these cages accommodate?
Thanks for your help.
souffle
Baby Robo - Just Born

Re: How many and what sex?

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:25 pm

Hiya Souffle,

I think the Gabber would be a great size for a pair or a group of 4 - i would try to avoid keeping odd numbers of robos, as this sometimes ends up with one robo being left out, or one robo being bullied. With even numbered groups over 2 you will usually find that the robos will pair off, but this isnt a problem as there will not be any robos left out.

With the Gabber you would need to make sure there is nothing for them to fight over, so would need to make sure the food is scattered (not in bowls) and the water bowl or bottle is easily accessable to all robos. You would probably need one wheel for each robo in th cage, but you will probably notice they all want to use the same one, lol.

Some people do find that the bigger cages can create mroe problems due to the fact that there is more space for each one to create its own territory, but i have never found this, but i do try to keep my cages as simple as possible to avoid squabbles.

A rody sized cage would be suitable for a pair, but i dont think it would be suitable for any more than two - although if you tried it you could see how they got on - maybe it would stop them getting individual territories? I am not sure - maybe see what aother people's experiences have been :)

Hope this helps - please just let me know if you need any more help :)

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Postby souffle » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:57 pm

Thank you Tammy
Do you find that a particular sex does better in groups than another or say siblings as opposed to youngsters introduced from different litters?
souffle
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:07 pm

I would definately recommend two robos from the same litter, but i know that this isnt always possible, but i would say wait for an opportunity to get two from the same sex if you want to have the best chance of them staying together.

With the sexes, i have had success, and split ups, with both sexes, so i think it is mainly down to the individual hamsters' personalities, rather then their sex. For a relationship to be successfull there must be a dominant hamster (even if only slightly) and a hamster that is willing to submit. This is the main thing, so it is not really to do with sex.

If i HAD to choose one sex i think i would go towards males, but only because i have had slightly more success with males than females - but i think it is basically the same - just down to individual personality :)

Hope this helps,

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Postby Alex » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:41 pm

I have found that they are very easy to pair up in most combinations, however its much easier to keep a few from the same litter together.

The problems i have had tend to be when i have uneven groups of say 5 animals, and then fighting breaks out occaisionally.

As Tammy also sai... I have found males/brothers tend to be better, as females in my experience have decided to squabble for dominance.
Alex
Site Admin

Postby Ness » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:39 am

I've tried a few different group sizes, I have a few odd number groups that have worked. I currently have 5females in a tank 4 of which are related (mum and 3daughters) I introduced tif to the group as she didnt seem happy at all alone. I've never seen them fight over wheels etc, where as when I've had odd numbered groups before there has been fights. I'm considering at some point putting the mum and tifa together by themselves, but I'm happy with the group atm.

like Tammy has said, it is mainly down to the individual hamster. I had one robo that couldnt be paired up with another without getting into a fight, one day I found another robo that showed traits like her. I though well its worth a try, and places them in an empty cage together and straight away they got on. its been about 5months now and they sleep together and never fight.

I have found that it is better to get robos from the same litter, group of 2 or 4best.

I havent found much difference between male and female groups. I've had equally successful and unsuccessful groups from both, really.
Ness
Baby Robo - Just Born

Return to General Care