Sexing baby robos

If you have bought your Roborovskis from somewhere other than a reputable breeder then there is a good chance that they may not have been sexed correctly. The most important thing you need to do to when you buy Roborovski hamsters is to double check their sexes - this is the place to do just that!!

Moderator: Alex

Sexing baby robos

Postby Toria » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:41 pm

hello, i'm having alittle trouble sexing my robo's. P@H said that they think they are both boys but i'm thinking that there is one girl and one boy?? they are only three weeks but this weekend i hope to put the male if there is one in with his dad so i need to work this out asap :)
Robo 1

Robo 2

Toria
Baby Robo - Just Born

Re: Sexing baby robos

Postby Nella » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:26 pm

Why the rush? I always wait till they are 5 weeks old before separeting them. Better to be safe than sorry. I'd say the first a male and the second a female... but I think it is far to early to know 200% sure. Is the father together with the young robo's? Otherwise I'd pair them up when the young is a bit older... at 3 weeks old, the young robo's are too little to defend themselves...
Nella
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:19 pm

Hiya :)

i hav been lookin at these pics and other pics of the same hamsters on another forum, and i think we have now come to the conclusion that they are both males, but i agree that it is still very early to be able to sex them correctly.

I advised Toria to put the males in with the dad at three weeks old as i have always done this with no problems. I think this is the perfect age (if they have been correctly sexed) for them to be placed with the dad, as at this age any adult robos will still treat these very much as babies and will not see them as a threat - so there will be no danger to the babies or the adults. Hopefully this will also give them a good start to stay together in the future, but of course they will need to be monitored closely, especially as the babies reach 3 or 4 months old.

As Nella has said, you will be safe from unwanted pregnancies at least till they are 5 weeks old, and i usually find that another couple of weeks after that is usually fine too - but of course you do want to get them sexed by 5 weeks old if you can :)

If you are certain of the sexes, and are happy to remove them from the mother now, then i am sure they will be fine with dad now, but just monitor them carefully :)

Good Luck - just let me know if you need any further info.

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Postby Alex » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:47 pm

it's still early days ... however they both look male to me..... having said that i did once accidentally mis-sex a robo that i sold someone .... but hey 1 out of many haha :lol:
Alex
Site Admin

Postby Nella » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:17 pm

I think it depends of the caracter of the father. I did it once and it was NO success at all... the father wounded one of the young males... there was no fatherfeeling at all. After that I never tried it again that early. At 5 weeks of age they are still young and no treat to the father. Only with 6 weeks it gets more difficult.

But how did you come to the conclusion that both young are male? When you look at the last picture it looks as if it is very close together... the fist is definitely a male offcourse ;).
Nella
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:57 pm

Hi Nella :)

Yes, i agree that it definately depends on the adults personality, but luckily most of my adult males are quite placid :)

i can only speak from my experience, and it has nearly always worked for me - obviously there is no 'fatherly' feeling, as i do not believe that the adult can detect that the babies are his, but i do believe that at such a young age he does not feel threatened by them. Like i said though, i cannot speak for everyone and whatever method is used the hamsters must still be monitored very closely.

I belive that the hamsters in question are now living with their father happliy, and that they are both male babies :) I hope they continue to live happliy :)

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Postby Toria » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:10 pm

No, unfortunately Kevin turned out to be a Ellie and now lives with two tiny runts that i have and they all seem very happy, and the dad attacked the young male Cosmo and he now lives with an elderly gentleman called Leo. Just afraid as he is so much older that he will not be with us for much longer Cosmo may be left on his own. Although fingers crossed we have much longer with him :D
Toria
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:15 pm

Hi Toria (that is right isnt it?! lol!)

I am glad you got it all sorted out in the end and i am glad they are all living happily together now in their groups and pairs :)

I too hope Leo spends a lot more time with you :)

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Return to Sexing