Do males robos smell different?

If you have bought your Roborovskis from somewhere other than a reputable breeder then there is a good chance that they may not have been sexed correctly. The most important thing you need to do to when you buy Roborovski hamsters is to double check their sexes - this is the place to do just that!!

Moderator: Alex

Do males robos smell different?

Postby scotia » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:45 pm

Hi
Im still not having any luck taking fotos of the young robo that i cant sex for definite, but i have noticed that his/her tank smells totally different from the girls tanks.. its a smell i always associated with robos but i have only ever had males before and the girls tanks dont smell at all... do i just have extra clean girls or is there really a distinct difference in smell ? Thanks!
scotia
Baby Robo - Just Born

Re: Do males robos smell different?

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:24 am

Hiya :)

i think everyone knows that Robos have their own smell, not a bad one and not any stronger than other species, but definately a different one. To be honest i dont really notice it anymore but i know that it is one of the first things that people pick up on when they first keep robos.

I was just about to write that i havent actually noticed any difference between male and femals smell, but actually thinking about it, i suppose that adult males do tend to have a slightly stronger smell about them, especially when they are in 'breeding mode' or being territorial. I wouldnt have thought your youngsters would be producing that much scent yet though being so young but maybe they are. Adult males who are scent marking a lot will have a very dark yellow stain where their scent gland is by their belly button, so have a look for this, it might be visible :)

Sorry to waffle on, lol, but it is hard to describe! Hope this helps,

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Postby scotia » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:38 pm

Well, i am 99.9% sure he is a little boy. The spacing is wider than it was last week, and i am pretty sure i could see a yellowing around where his scent gland is. He has however now found a new home, and his new mum is not reallly bothered if hes male or female, but for now, we are saying male and he is called Emilio. He moved out to his new luxury home today!! Just have the two female babies left now, and the tiny one already has someone interested to take her. so just 1 left...... if she doesnt find anyone to love her, i am pretty sure im going to give in and keep her :D But im really happy we have managed to rehome the mum and dad (despite their age), emilio, and three of his sisters already!!!
scotia
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby scotia » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:02 pm

update: the remaining two girls now also have a new home lined up!!!! just have to wait another week with me, to make sure there are no unexpected pregnancies thanks to emilio :hurray:
scotia
Baby Robo - Just Born

Postby Tammy - Oak Farm » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:49 pm

Great News!!! :D

I am so pleased that you managed to find them all great new homes :) i think you have done a great job looking after them and rehoming them :)

Tammy x
Tammy - Oak Farm
Site Owner

Postby Nella » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:32 pm

I don't think the smell is different (never noticed it), but I think male robo's mark their territory more often than females. Especially the silent spinners here are within a few days dirty... always the male :P.
Nella
Baby Robo - Just Born

Return to Sexing